Department for Correctional Services
- VARIOUS -
Open to Everyone
- $56k + Penalties (Base salary + penalties increasing up to
$80,000 p.a. plus superannuation).
- Six weeks annual leave.
- Ongoing employment in the SA Public Sector – Full
time & Part time positions available.
- No prior correctional experience required.
- Fully paid 12-week inhouse training course.
- Career progression opportunities.
- The South Australian public sector promotes diversity and
flexible ways of working
- Recruiting for all prison sites.
- Successful completion of training will be accredited with
Certificate III in Correctional Practice (Adult
About the Role
Correctional Officers undertake a front-line role in the prison
system. They are responsible for a wide range of duties
relating to the safety, security and welfare of prisoners in
our care. They manage day-to-day issues and contribute to ongoing
We are now taking applications for Correctional
Officers. You will need to complete an online application
including Correctional Officer Application
Pack, Pre-Employment Declaration and attach supporting
documentation (eg. Driver’s Licence, Birth certificate,
Australian citizenship). Any additional documentation or
information that you feel can support your application.
As a Correctional Officer your duties can
- Observing prisoner conduct, behaviour, and activities
- Conducting prisoner cell searches
- Transporting and escorting prisoners
- Assisting and encouraging prisoners with their individual
development programs and case reviews
- Assisting prisoners with matters affecting their welfare,
security, behaviours and routines
- Responding to emergency situations, including prisoner
conflicts, prisoner injury and medical crisis
- Conducting strip searched of prisoners
To be a great Correctional Officer, you will be:
- Socially responsible with personal honesty and
- Display empathy and cultural awareness
- Mature and self-confident
- Use interpersonal skills and emotional stability which
enables supportive and constructive relationships with work
colleagues and with prisoners
- Model and foster positive, respectful leadership
- The ability to use critical thinking, be alert and
observant at all times
- A high level of resilience, self-awareness, and emotional
- Work successfully with the greater team to maintain the
safety and security
The Department employs approximately 2,000 staff and has
responsibility for nine prisons and sixteen Community Correctional
offices across the state.
Our Strategic Focus is:
- Invest in strategic initiative to reduce reoffending
- Reduce the over-representation of Aboriginal people
incarcerated in South Australia
- Deliver world class correctional services
- Actively contribute to improving outcomes for all people
impacted by the criminal justice system.
- Prioritise the safety of staff, our partners, people under
- A current South Australia Driver’s Licence
- An Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- 18 years or older
Trainee Correctional Officer: $52,665 p.a (CO1) plus
superannuation (12 weeks only)
Correctional Officer: $56,987 - $64,931 p.a (CO2) plus penalties
increasing up to $80,000 p.a plus superannuation
To find out more about: Correctional
to be a Correctional Officer, Training
or visit https://iworkfor.sa.gov.au/page.php?pageID=160&windowUID=0&AdvertID=661757
8226 9150 or 8226 9048
Applications can be submitted to DCSTCORecruitment@sa.gov.au
or post the postal address below:
GPO BOX 1747, Adelaide SA 5001
We encourage applications from people with diverse
backgrounds including all ages and gender identities, Aboriginal
and Torres Strait Islander, people with disability, culturally and
linguistically diverse and LGBTIQA+.
31/10/2023 11:00 PM
- Code of Ethics for the South Australian Public _Sector.pdf
- Correctional Officer Application and Pre-Employment Declaration_ (Fillable).pdf
- DCS Strategic _Plan 2022-2026.pdf
- Job and Person Specification1.pdf
The South Australian public sector promotes diversity and flexible ways of working including part-time. Applicants are encouraged to discuss the flexible working arrangements for this role.